Tuesday 1 November 2011

Limoncello

Those of you who know me, will have noticed a little penchant I've developed over the last year or so for making fruit infused vodka.  So far I've dabbled in blueberry, blackberry, raspberryfragola grape and tonight, lemon.  Being half-Italian I figured it would be outrageous for me not to give this traditional Italian digestivo a go, even if I do prefer the sweeter end of the liquor spectrum... Maybe I'll just up the sugar a smidge.


Limoncello

the rind of 5 lemons, none of the white pith though
1 litre of vodka, or 98% proof alcohol is better (hic) if you can find it
1kg sugar
750ml water

Place the lemon rinds (and a little bit of the juice) in a sterilised sealable container and pour over the vodka.
Seal and keep for a week in a darkish, dry place, giving it a shake every day.

~

Bring the water to the boil and add the sugar, stirring until it has dissolved.
pour in the vodka and rinds, stir, and return to the container (or a bigger one if need be).
Keep it infusing for at least another week, shaking every now and then - I'll be leaving mine until Christmas - then strain into a bottle and serve chilled.

And if anyone was wondering about that Raspberry Vodka I made back in June, I'm afraid it's getting drunk faster than I can photograph it/write about it.  But it was very good.

what's left of my blueberry vodka (left) and raspberry vodka (right)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts, and if you have any questions at all, I will reply to them within these comments - so please be sure to check back to get your answer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...