Tuesday 10 January 2012

Actually Really Healthy Cupcakes

While most of us girls begin a new year with ambitious goals of health and fitness, all those Christmas feasts usually equal a stretched out stomach that insatiably screams to be fed for weeks after, making it very hard to curb the apetite... That, and certain Bourbon Custard recipes popping up on my reader...

And so it was on this grey afternoon, unable to shake that permanently peckish feeling, I gave in and made a batch of cupcakes.  However, having just seen a pretty healthy recipe over at Jennifer Casa's blog I was determined satisfy my cravings and do my body a favour at the same time.


Using Jennifer's recipe as a vague guide (omitting the yoghurt as my son is allergic to dairy), I came up with the following recipe which is not only delicious but really is packed with super healthy ingredients and not a gram of crap.  As most of the ingredients are wet, I have done the measurements in cups as opposed to weight.

~ Peanut Butter Cacao Cupcakes ~

1 egg
1/3 cup manuka honey (ultra antibacterial and immune system boosting)
1/3 cup agave nectar (honey-like syrup, very low GI, even ok for diabetics)
1/3 cup rapeseed oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup self raising flour
1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter or almond butter even better
2 tbsp ground flax
1/3 cup raw cacao nibs (insane health benefits)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
Mix all wet ingredients in a bowl.
Sift in flour and incorporate.  
Mix in the peanut/almond butter, flax and cacao.
Spoon the mixture into 12 cupcake cases and bake for 15 mins.
Eat while still warm... and don't feel too bad about having another!



2 comments:

  1. Those look so good! And I wont feel so guilty about eating them. Im trying desperately to lose 7 lbs I gained after weaning my toddler and the holidays combined!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long live the bourbon custard! Although, I'm probably in desperate need for some desserts that are more health-friendly. Scratch that: My ass is in desperate need for some desserts that are more health-friendly.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts, and if you have any questions at all, I will reply to them within these comments - so please be sure to check back to get your answer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...