Wednesday 8 June 2011

Lacy Crochet Tea-Light Jars

Like most people, I keep empty glass jars.  Never really sure what for exactly; I don't make jam (although maybe I should), or chutney, so now I am faced with a big box overflowing with empty glass jars.  At least half without matching lids.  Definitely no use for jam/chutney making.  So instead, I have been crocheting lace covers for these lidless jars, popping a little tea light inside, and the result is quite pretty.  Especially if you make a set in varying heights and hues.


Very easy to make: using cotton DK yarn and a 2.5mm crochet hook, make a flat circle just a little smaller than the base of your jar.  Find a lace pattern you like and adapt it to work in the round, continuing until the jar fits nicely inside.  For the last round, simply chain, joining with a dc (double crochet - single crochet for US stitchers) at regular intervals along the round, and keeping it tighter (ie. fewer stitches) than the main body of the cover so as to grip the neck of the jar.  Break off yarn, sew in tails, ease the jar into the cover and you're done.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea!! I usually make berets out of doily patterns, & this is a cute idea worth trying! Thanks!
    8-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts, and if you have any questions at all, I will reply to them within these comments - so please be sure to check back to get your answer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...