Sunday 4 March 2012

Recipe Revealed ~ The Most Delicious Dairy-Free Chocolate Cupcakes I've Ever Eaten

So I promised you the recipe for my insanely deliciously dense chocolate cupcakes (no dairy!)... Here it is. Get ready.


~ Chocolate Cupcakes (dairy-free) ~

50g self-raising flour
50g ground almonds
30g cocoa powder
140g golden caster sugar
a pinch of salt
1 egg
200ml coconut milk (half a can)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

For the frosting:


or

300g icing sugar, sifted
100g dairy-free spread/goats butter
40g cocoa powder, sifted
40ml rice milk


Preheat oven to 180 degrees.  Line a cupcake tray and set aside.
In a bowl, sift together all dry ingredients and mix well.
In another bowl, combine wet ingredients.
Slowly add wet bowl to dry bowl and mix well until fully incorporated.
Spoon mixture into the cupcake cases and bake for 15-20 mins (I like mine to have a bit of a gooey fondant-esque centre so I take them out after 15 mins.  If you like yours well done, bake for 20 mins, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean).


A few words on frosting:  Dairy-free frosting can be tricky.  If you are substituting butter for a dairy-free alternative (which tend to have more of a soft margarine-like consistency) it can be much harder to achieve a firm frosting that keeps its shape once piped.  Make sure you refrigerate the frosting for a good hour or two before attempting to pipe, or alternatively, simply slather it on, Hummingbird Bakery style.  If you're using goats butter, the consistency will be fine, as if you were using regular butter, but watch out for a very subtle goaty kick!  I personally don't mind this, and if you're the kind of person who likes cream cheese frosting, you probably won't even notice.  Another option for frosting, my current favourite in fact, has a whipped coconut milk base (see above link for recipe).  You'll need to have a bit of foresight for this though as the opened, unshaken can of coconut milk needs to be in the fridge overnight to get sufficiently firm.  No impromptu cupcake baking with this method I'm afraid.


So there you have it my friends.  My secret recipe is out.  Spread the love.  Sharing is caring.  And above all, enjoy!



7 comments:

  1. these look amoooooozing!!!!!!!!!! makes me want to eat my computer looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you I sent this recipe to my dairy free friend and as a thank you she made me 4.

    I did not share them. You deserve a nobel prize.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nobel for baking! Love it. A nobake. And what about your salted caramel chocolate outrageousness you call mousse??! Too much delicioso that was. If you ever come to London, you have an open invitation to come to my house and bake and be fed baked goods and sew red dresses. x

      Delete
  3. You can substitute red wine for the coconut milk. Seriously. Google smitten kitchen's red wine cake. I made one last night but I added Franjelico and Drambui as well. Every slice is like a shot. Obv. not for kids... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohhh that sounds wicked! Nothing like a bit of late night boozy baking!

      Delete
  4. I dropped by for the sewing, but am drawn to the cupcakes! Must try them out - I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! You'll see. They are the most delicious cupcakes. Ever.

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts, and if you have any questions at all, I will reply to them within these comments - so please be sure to check back to get your answer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...